Work with a Managed Security Service to Prevent Cyber Attacks
The reality of living in the digital age means that most successful businesses have a significant presence online. While conducting business online can streamline certain processes, your IT security is at a higher risk of being compromised. Recently, ransomware has become a popular method used by cyber criminals who are seeking large payouts. As technology advances, so do the plans to carry out these attacks. However, despite a hacker’s ability to carry out these sophisticated operations, there are some effective strategies you can use to prevent your business from falling victim to ransomware encryption. Working with a trusted MSSP can help you identify any areas of weakness within your security infrastructure and stop ransomware, as well as other forms of cybercrime from invading your organization.
5 Areas of Weakness in Your IT Security Infrastructure
Many businesses make themselves vulnerable to ransomware attacks without even realizing it. Fortunately, security mistakes can be prevented. Here are 5 ways you may unknowingly invite ransomware into your business operation:
- Insecure or Non-existent Backups - It is important that your backups are secure and remain up-to-date. If your business fails to prepare a clean backup that is isolated from your main system and you experience a ransomware attack, you may be forced to pay a ransom or lose your data forever. However, it is not enough to simply establish your backup. You must also make sure to test your restoration processes regularly, even daily if your business involves mission-critical data.
- Lack of Firewall Configuration - Firewalls are one of the most effective defences against a cyber attack. If your current infrastructure does not include firewall protection, you are putting your data at serious risk. Take the time to comb through your system and block any suspicious IP addresses. Also, do not configure your system so that users and servers operate on the same network.
- Irregular Patching Process - Regular patching processes will help mitigate the risks of a cyber attack. Businesses that do not use effective patching methods leave their operating systems vulnerable, therefore, increasing the chances of a successful data breach.
- Accessible Data - By granting all employees access to sensitive data, you are unwittingly encouraging a security incident to occur. Implement strict controls over who can access this data and only provide access when absolutely necessary.
- Failure to Update Platform - It is easy to fall back on an old system if it appears to be functioning smoothly. However, outdated platforms are not capable of providing the key security features that are widely available today. Failing to update your systems exposes your business as an easy target for cyber criminals to carry out their attacks.
Upgrade Your Security Infrastructure with a MSSP
Ransomware attacks are on the rise. When data is stolen from an organization, there is little that can be done to retrieve it. Experts advise against paying a ransom because even if a payment is made, there is no guarantee that you will regain full access to your data. Therefore, it is critical that you are aware of the proactive security measures your business can take to prevent a cyber attack in the first place. At GlassHouse Systems, your infrastructure is our main focus. We can assess and create a custom IT solution for your business, whether that involves maintaining your existing infrastructure or building an entirely new one. Trust our team to provide first class security expertise and ensure your system performs at its highest level.
Contact us to learn more or leave a comment below for more information on how to repair gaps in your IT security. Our managed security experts will be happy to work with you to find suitable solutions and ultimately, protect your business against cyber attacks.